Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Bereft of Rock, I turn to some soulful Ghazals

Not sure if I have lost my music collection or left it back home .. miss it and hoping that at least its safe at home ..
Computer's also been cranky and somehow not able to tune into launchcast, that was a pretty good source of music for sometime .. now have to listen to my meagre collection of Megadeth and Enigma .. over and over again ..
I long for some Metallica, Staind and Led Zep ..
But of late have been re discovering ghazals. Have always liked it and had heard quite a bit to them .. and looks like this enforced exile from Metal\Rock\Alternative is not such a bad thing.
Got a Punjabi roomie who has a large collection of Ghazals and luckily many of them were common between my earlier collection that I had become familiar with.
Loaded my 4 Gb player with a random set of songs and have been enjoying them during the daily commute and at times in Office too.
The vast differece bet Ghazxals and Rock has not been escaped me. I like varied forms of Music, mind you, and is a nice experience to explore Ghazals deeper.
My Roomie helps out with a couple of tough words which might have roots in Punjabi but there are pure Urdu words that fail us both and we try and figure what they might be
Ghazals have their soul in the lyrics, most of which deal with Love and Longing and in most cases Booze as well :-D .. strange ? U need to just listen to any random song and there will be mentions of "jaam", "maikhana", "saqi" etc ..
Some of my favourites have been sung by Jagjit Singh, who i think has the cleanest of voices ever and my other favourite would be Ghulam Ali whos is unmatched in pouring his feelings into the song.
there have been songs which I like and am not sure who has sung them, there is a large contingent of pakistani singers who excell in this field, Noorjahan, Begum Akhtar and others .. am still a long way from claiming mastery on Ghazals and Ghazal singers :-)
But having a good Hindi background did help me in following the lyrics and nuance's that are so very important to this form of music.
Great to listen to at almost any time, especially when you are missing someone, missing home or in mood for some introspection.
Current tripping on "Tere Aane Ki Jab Khabar Mehke" by Jagit Singh .. is a beautiful romantic song and Singh is at his vintage best.
As Mcdee's says - "Am Loving it" :-)

Am digressing here a bit, but the Macdonalds here are sad for Veggy's .. I mean, the UK macdee's had some awesome Veggy Burger's.The Veggy Burger here, if you are lucky to get in any of their outlets, tastes like the bottom of my sole, which however clean it might be is not appetising ! I used to swear by the Macdee's in UK and the ones in Blore are not bad either are they ?
PS: No questions or wise cracks about how I know the taste of my shoe Sole ..

1 Comments:

At 1:19 AM, Blogger Prashanth said...

Hahahehehhuhuhu!
You without rock! Awesome...guess your brain fluid will stay in place without all that head banging!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home